- Top Question:
- What is a pre-authorized debit card transaction?
- Best Answer:
Pre-authorized debit card transactions are temporary charges applied by a merchant, generally to verify the account or to hold a projected amount of funds they expect you to spend. Most pre-authorized transactions are the same amount as your final purchase amount but sometimes the pre-authorized amount may be different. Examples of merchants who may apply pre-authorized transaction amounts different than the final purchase on a debit card would include car rentals, hotels, restaurants and gas stations.
These pre-authorized transactions could cause confusion to the account holder regarding the available account balance since the amount held may not be the precise amount of the eventual charge. Most pre-authorized transactions are applied to your account for a maximum of 3 business days, or until the merchant submits the actual final amount for payment. At this time, the pre-authorized debit is removed.
Because pre-authorizations can tie up funds in your account, we suggest that whenever possible use a credit card or alternative payment method instead of a debit card for car rentals, hotels and other situations where a deposit or large pre-authorization may be required.
If you have a question about a specific transaction on your account, please visit a nearby branch location or call (866) 952-9523 for personal assistance.
- How do I access my account information through telephone banking?
- Can I add the same Arvest debit and/or credit cards in Apple Pay™ on multiple devices?
- Can I set up automatic payments to my credit card account?
- How do I dispute a transaction?
- What is the mortgage Bi-Weekly Payment Drafting Program?
- How can I stop/cancel my automatic draft?
- How can I change my automatic draft information?
- What are the advantages of making a purchase with my Arvest debit or credit card in Apple Pay™?
- How do I get my account balance?
- How do I activate my debit card or ATM card?
Most Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Transit Routing Number?
- How do I order checks?
- How do I open an account or apply for a loan?
- Where can I find Arvest's current deposit account rates?
- Do you have online calculators and tools?
- How do I get a loan?
- How do I obtain foreign currency?
- Can you tell me about Arvest debit cards?
- How do I check my Arvest Flex Rewards™ points balance?
- What is Arvest Flex Rewards™ and how does it work?