- Top Question:
- What is a pre-authorized debit card transaction?
- Best Answer:
Pre-authorized debit card transactions are temporary charges applied by a merchant, generally to verify the account or to hold a projected amount of funds they expect you to spend. Most pre-authorized transactions are the same amount as your final purchase amount but sometimes the pre-authorized amount may be different. Examples of merchants who may apply pre-authorized transaction amounts different than the final purchase on a debit card would include:
• Car rentals
• Gas stations
These pre-authorized transactions could cause confusion to the account holder regarding the available account balance since the amount held may not be the precise amount of the eventual charge.
Most pre-authorized transactions are applied to your account for a maximum of 3 business days, or until the merchant submits the actual final amount for payment. At this time, the pre-authorized debit is removed.
Because pre-authorizations can tie up funds in your account, we suggest that whenever possible use a credit card or alternative payment method instead of a debit card for car rentals, hotels and other situations where a deposit or large pre-authorization may be required.
If you have a question about a specific transaction on your account, please visit a nearby branch location or call our Contact Center (866) 952-9523* for personal assistance.
*Service hours are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. CST, and Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST.
- What should I do if I’m a victim of a scam, fraud or fraudulent transaction?
- What is a chip-enabled debit card?
- How do I activate my debit card?
- What if the ATM does not return my card or I leave my card in the ATM?
- How do I order a chip-enabled debit card?
- Can chip-enabled debit cards still be used at merchants who are not chip-enabled?
- How do I use a chip-enabled debit card?
- What are my debit card artwork options?
- How can I cancel or replace my existing debit or credit cards?
- How can I report my debit card card as lost or stolen?
Most Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I log in to Arvest Online Banking with BlueIQ?
- Where can I find information about COVID-19 resources or financial assistance programs?
- Where are your branches located?
- How do I lock my debit card?
- What is the Transit Routing Number?
- How do I add an online account?
- Can I set up automatic payments to my personal credit card account?
- How do I transfer money between my accounts?
- How do I order / reorder checks?
- Where can I find Arvest's current Certificate of Deposit (CD) or Individual Retirement Account (IRA) rates?